June 17, 2011

Art Quilt Block #1

Hey there Friday Friends. This afternoon I'd like to show you my first completed Art Quilt Block. Melissa Phillips and I are taking on this fun venture this summer and we're sharing out finished blocks as we go along. You can read my first post that talks more about the inspiration for the art quilts here. And you can see Melissa's beautiful art block here. So beautiful.

And here's my first art quilt block. I decided to make my blocks mostly out of fabric so that I can turn my completed blocks into an actual quilt to hang on the wall. My block sizes are 8.5" square.
A few items that I want to have present on each art block are: a doily or piece of lace or trim of some sort....vintage white buttons....hand stitching and I'll probably even add some embroidered words at some point to all of my blocks...and new and old fabrics.
I have decided that I love old and new fabrics so much that I can choose between them for projects. On this block I used a new polka dot fabric but then added a floral piece of vintage sheet, an old doily and a vintage hankie. I love the idea that I'm adding something new that represents my day and age to something old that perhaps my grandmother would have sewn with. I love that combo.
Melissa sent me the beautiful silver buckle and some beaded stick pins that I knew would be perfect for my vintage hankie. I tied on a paper ticket embellished with a fabric covered button. I think that my paper goodies will be attached on tickets or tags of some sort just in case I decide to go with all fabric/sewn pieces at some point.
When I'm all done with my art quilt blocks I'm going to use some beautiful linen fabric that I found at the thrift shop as the in between borders. It's so soft and pretty and makes a beautiful backdrop for the colorful blocks. Hope you enjoy! If you have any ideas to share about what I could add to my art block pieces, I'm all ears. Just leave your message in the comments section. Thanks for stopping by.

Be sure to check out my Papertrey newsletter post just below this one. :)

11 comments:

Susi said...

Absolutely Beautiful!

Anne Tussing said...

I love your first art quilt block!! So cool to add the vintage hankie to it. I just love those vintage hankies and have a bunch....but I'm not always sure what to do with them! Your quilt is going to be gorgeous!!

Melissa said...

So darling Mish...love the colors you're going to be using on this and the way you layer everything so perfectly!
Melis

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

WOW! This is so beautiful! What a fun summer project!

A Cup of Cold Water said...

Really pretty Mish. This might be more up my alley than a traditional quilt.
Thanks for sharing
Susan

Cele Schaffer said...

Love the 1rst art quilt square! The lovely vintage layers are SO you. Keep up the good work and would LOVE for you to keep sharing.Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Helen L said...

Michelle, that is a really beautiful block: your artistic sense carries right over to your sewing endeavors!! And since I've always gained such inspiration from you, would you mind if I shared a little piece of quilting knowledge with you? The border between the blocks is called sashing. (maybe comes from the sashing on windows?) Keep up all your lovely creations: I only wish I could do as good as you:-)

Patty J said...

Love your work - paper and fabric - and I will be closely following your quilt squares this summer. Hopefully we can see the put together process in the end too!

Susan said...

I just wanted to say I love your first block, and thank you for all your inspiration. I totally look at thrift stores differently now because of you. I snatch up vintage hankies, napkins and crocheted doilies when I see them. And tart tins and buttons and...the list goes on. I'm going to try an art quilt, starting with some seasonal blocks. I'm thinking something red, white and blue is in order. Thanks again!

Nancy B said...

I love your first block. Sometimes when I see papers, I wish I could find it in cloth and then vice versa. I had not thought of going to thrift stores for those items, either. I usually look at antique malls. Do you have any thrift shops you frequent? I live in NE KS and would love to check them out. Looking forward to your next block. It looks like fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails