June 24, 2011

Art Quilt Block #2

TGIF friends! So glad you stopped by today. Today I am sharing my Art Quilt Block #2 with you. You can find my first Art Quilt Block at this post, along with links to Melissa's quilt block. She and I are taking on this venture this summer. Just creating as we go along.....adding fabric and little snippets and findings here and there.
My blocks measure 8.5" square and I intend to make some sort of wall hanging with mine,using linen for the quilt base. I've added lots of wonderful snippets that Melissa sent me. We swapped some supplies just for fun. Come to think of it as I look at this block, everything here was sent to me from Melissa except the base fabric, linen colored crotched trim and my hand cut doily piece. That girl really knows what I like! Hand stitching with little *x's* was done this time on the pom pom trim.
And more *x's* on the paper accent. The little doily piece was hand cut from a tattered table doily.
I love this creative process. No pre-planning required, just piece it together as I go. This block took less than 30 minutes to assemble, not including the hand stitching. On each piece I'm planning to do some hand embroidery....or maybe enlist Jordan to help out since she is so good at it. I'm saving that work til the end because I'm not sure quite yet what words or little images I want to use. I think a heart would be good on this block, to tie in with the words on the paper piece.
Hope you enjoy! Have you done any sewing this summer? We're close to getting Jordan's second quilt top finished. She's using vintage sheets and fabric, all from thrift stores. The little stinker is on her second quilt and I don't have ONE done yet!

Off to ballgames this weekend.

13 comments:

Marlou McAlees said...

Gorgeous!!! Can't wait to see finished quilt by you and Melissa :)

purpleflower53 said...

Absolutely beautiful Mish!!!

Lisa Elton said...

Michelle,Michelle...you and Melissa both have me seriously considering an art quilt project of my art!!! This is lovely ~ thanks :)

Anne said...

Just Lovely ! I have clothes to mend and trousers to take up for my son but honestly I would much rather sew something like this little square or sew on a card or bag. Thanks for the beautiful inspiration.

kate adderley said...

Hi michelle, how beautiful is your quilt, love the vintage items and colours, l would love to do this one day myself, but to many other projects on the go at the moment, cant wait to see it all done, is the finshed product quilted like a normal quilt or just backed with material, you have given me an idea for one of my scrap pages, love and hugs kate

Anne Tussing said...

Your block is so soft and pretty. I love the handstitched x's!

Jean Franks Beck said...

Gorgeous, Mish! Looooovin' that base fabric! Such a fun project. :)

Kim G said...

This block is just beautiful!! Can't wait to see more.

Frank Zweegers said...

Looks beautiful.

Teri said...

Ah Mish, just beautiful!! I love all the little found treasures hiding everywhere!! It's going to be gorgeous!! I thought of you today when I went to a freight store that carries all kinds of junk, treasures, lace and fabric, and things you just don't see anymore! I got a package of old delicatessen paper, it's a lovely yellowed shade and I can't wait to play with it! Best part, 5 lb. package for 99 cents!! I'm channeling my inner Mish and am loving it!!!
Have a wonderful weekend!!
Hugs,
Teri

Jenn Copeland said...

Ohhh! This is BEAUTIFUL! I am seriously going o start one of these! Thanks for the constant fabulous inspiration!

Unknown said...

Love love love this art quilt block, you are going to have one amazing project when you are done. I haven't visited Melissa's blog, I'm almost afraid to do so, it would totally skeer me away from ever trying to do this!

Tanja said...

Love this muted water colour look Well done!

Related Posts with Thumbnails